We are looking to the Word of God to uncover truths (50 in all) of how God sees each one of us. If this is your first time here or you simply need a reminder of how God sees you, click here to begin reading through the series.
Seeing Ourselves as Overcomers Through the Eyes of God
“You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.” 1 John 4:4 (NIV)
What is your “them”? What threatens to overcome you? Maybe the fear of making the wrong decision paralyzes you from moving forward or making any decision. Maybe you succumbed to the temptation of the cookie calling your name. Maybe depression has you pinned down and feeling hopeless.
Some of the them’s in the Bible that try to overcome us are:
- Unbelief: “Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, ‘I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!'” Mark 9:24 (NIV)
- Fear: “Then all the people of the region of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them, because they were overcome with fear. So he got into the boat and left.” Luke 8:37 (NIV)
- Darkness: “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” John 1:5 (NIV)
- Evil: “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” Romans 12:21 (NIV)
- Sensual Desires: “As for younger widows, do not put them on such a list. For when their sensual desires overcome their dedication to Christ, they want to marry.” 1 Timothy 5:11 (NIV)
- The World: “Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” 1 John 5:5 (NIV)
Jesus declares, “‘I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.'” (John 16:33 NIV).
The word “overcome” in this verse comes from the Greek word nikaō (Strong’s G3528) which means “to conquer” or “to come off victorious.” Jesus not only overcame the world, but He has given us “… authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy …'” (Luke 10:19 NIV).
I can overcome ____ because Jesus overcame the world.
Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for calling me Your child. Help me walk in the authority You have given me so I can be an overcomer. Surround me with Your peace as I hold onto You. In Jesus’ precious Name, Amen.
“I am a child of God and an overcomer because greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.” (1 John 4:4 personalized)
Rest in His presence.
NEXT STEPS & ADDITIONAL RESOURCESExchange your weariness for oneness with Christ so you can rest close to His heart.
Ready to take action?
- Let me send you Be Still: 5 Days to Heart Rest. You’ll also receive 15% off your next shop order.
- Shop Crystal Storms Art for sweet, watercolor art to bring rest to your heart.
- Listen to The Heart Rest Podcast every other Wednesday for encouragement to rest in Christ.
Indeed, He has overcome the world. It’s a good reminder for this Tuesday. Thanks, Crystal.
Crystal Storms says
Kristi, today I honor the sacrifices of your husband and so many others. It is because of the daily sacrifices of families like yours that these brave men and women are able to protect and serve this great country … thank you.